Know about Military and Veterans Tax Refunds
MilTax : Free Tax Refunds Filing Help for Service Members
All service members have access to OneSource MilTax, a free tax service for the military. It helps veterans to save money and file their tax refunds quickly and confidently.
- Easy-to-use tax preparation and e-filing software
- Personalized support from tax consultants
- Current information about filing taxes in the military
Miltax benefits of military life by deployment, training pays, housing, and rental, and much more. Above all, MilTax is 100% free for service members and it saves money when compared to a commercial tax preparation company.
Easy-to-use Software with Guaranteed Results
Miltax allows tax preparation and e-filing software, available from mid Jan to mid Oct. As mentioned, it is easy to use, and it asks the service member to answer a series of questions to complete their return. All calculations are guaranteed accurately by the software provider. So, service members can use MilTax very confidently.
Easily Accessible Tax Support from Military Experts
If the service member has any queries about taxes or needs to start getting help, MilTax consultants are available on their phones and in any tax situation, such as deployment, combat pay, e-filing deadlines of taxes, and extensions. It also supports Volunteer Income Tax Supports Assistance offices on many military installations. They’re available 24/7 through military OnSource.
Information for Veterans
The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) is committed to helping all veterans. They provide federal-tax information to veterans and explain tax refunds and benefits, free tax preparation, financial education, and asset buildings.
Earned Income Tax Credits
Veterans are eligible for many tax credits including Earned Income Tax Credits, a refundable income tax credits for people earning moderate-income and their families. Around two million veterans and military household workers receive the EITC. It provides a tax break to the eligible service member, allowing them to build a financial cushion in case of unexpected emergencies.
Special Tax Considerations
Veterans can be eligible for a federal tax refund on the bases of:
- Percentage of veterans’ disabilities from the Department of Veterans Affairs (include a retroactive determination)
- The combat-disable veterans, applying for Combat-Related Special Compensation
Combat-injured Veterans Tax Fairness Act of 2016
This Act went into effect in 2017. According to this federal law, veterans who have suffered from combat-related injuries are not to be taxed on disability severance payment they receive from the Department of Defense.
VA Disability Benefits
VA Disability benefits are not included in the gross income. The benefit payments include:
- Disability compensation or pension payments paid to veterans or their families
- Grants homes designed for wheelchair living
- Grants motor vehicles for veterans who lose their eyesight or limbs
- Benefits under a dependent-care assistance program
Eligibility for Military Tax Benefits
You must have be serving or served in one of the following organization:
The United States Armed Forces
- United States Army
- United States Navy
- The United States Costal Guard
- The United States Air Force
- United States Marine Corps
Uniformed Services of the United States
- The United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps
- Civilians employees
- Red Cross Members